Observation tower "Schönbuch"
- District administration Böblingen, 71034 Böblingen
- Concept and planning:
- schlaich bergermann und partner, sbp, 70197 Stuttgart
- General contractor:
- Stahlbau Urfer, 71686 Remseck am Neckar
- Year of construction:
- Observation tower with timber construction and steel cable anchorings
- 35 m
- Our role:
- Production and supply of the 24 timber pillars of larch glulam
Scope of performances
90 cubic metres of PEFC-certificated larch wood were used to built this observation tower in the nature park next to Stuttgart named „Schönbuch“. The wood was felled in the same forest of Schönbuch and environments, assorted and dryed in the woodwork Keck in Ehningen and laminated and manufactured in the Schaffitzel wood industry in Schwäbisch hall to pillars in the dimensions of 45 x 50 x 10 mts.
The result is unique: airily and lightwheightly is the new „Schönbuch-tower“ on the top oft the Stellberg. From the three platforms on 10, 20 and 30 mts height, that are accessible on two opposing stairs with 137 steps eighter, you`ll have a fantastic view untill the black forest. The tower itself weights 110 tons and supports approx. 500 kg each squaremetre.
Pictures production of pillars: Schaffitzel Holzindustrie
Pictures installation Andreas Sporn Photography
Pictures finished tower: Burkhard Walther